Re: Next patch for 8.5 support: ALTER TABLE ... ALTER COLUMN ... SET STATISTICS DISTINCT

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Next patch for 8.5 support: ALTER TABLE ... ALTER COLUMN ... SET STATISTICS DISTINCT
Date: 2009-11-24 09:57:43
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Le mardi 24 novembre 2009 à 10:38:24, Magnus Hagander a écrit :
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:19, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
> >
> > <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> >> Unfortunately, yesterday evening, I had a big fight with it. I tried the
> >> "git rebase git-svn --interactive", and I did a big mistake (IIRC, I
> >> tried to squash the first commit, which it didn't like at all). I didn't
> >> find a way to fix my mistake, so I had to "git svn clone" once again
> >> (which, BTW, is a really long, long operation).
> >
> > Yeah, it is. I've never actually tried an interactive rebase. I
> > normally just 'git stash', then 'git svn rebase' and then 'git stash
> > apply'. I'm still a relative git newbie though - there may be better
> > ways to drive it.
>
> You really should check out the interactive rebase. It's awesome, once
> you use it right.
>
> But as Guillaume says, don't try to rebase your first commit.
>
> Guillaume - you shouldn't have needed that, ever. Worst case, you
> would've had to drop your local branch and create a new one. Or did
> you try to do the rebase on the *svn* branch? You should never to it
> on that one - only on your local branches.

Just on question on git, say I have a local branch with three commits. I want
to push them on the shared branch (shared seems the best word to describe it,
but I mean I want to commit onto the svn repository).

If I do the "interactive rebase" step, and then "git svn dcommit", will the
dcommit ask for my commit message? or will it use one of the commit message of
my previous local commits?

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org