Re: BUG #5087: Submitted bug reports not showing up in a timely manner (or at all)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5087: Submitted bug reports not showing up in a timely manner (or at all)
Date: 2009-09-29 22:26:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Andrew Gierth escribió:

> Joshua> I am a -bugs moderator, and don't see that I ever got a
> Joshua> notice that I needed to approve #5085. I did get one for 5804
> Joshua> and 5806, FWIW.
>
> That's what I was afraid of; it rather suggests that some submissions are going
> astray without any moderator ever seeing them. Someone should probably check the
> mail logs...

Majordomo sends the reports to a limited number of moderators. For
example, it may be configured to send to 2 moderators, and if there are
more, no single moderator will get all of them.

I think this system is silly, error prone (it's way too easy to hit the
wrong key, particularly if traffic is large) and slow. If we want to
reject spam in a web form, we shouldn't be using a mailing list spam
moderation system. I think we should be using a "captcha" system like
recaptcha.