Re: Patch to allow the change of the connection in the server status dialog

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch to allow the change of the connection in the server status dialog
Date: 2009-09-26 06:45:45
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Le lundi 21 septembre 2009 à 10:04:28, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> > [...]
> > This patch adds a connection toolbar to the frmStatus window. It allows
> > one to change the connection used byt the various reports. It is mostly
> > important for the locks report because it's the only way to get the name
> > of locked relations.
> >
> > One thing that bugs me is the log report. It needs to keep the connection
> > to the maintenance database because it's the only database where we
> > require to have the adminpack functions. Should we keep two connections
> > (one on the maintenance database and the one selected in the combobox)?
> > or should we allow the change of connection for the locks report only?
>
> I think we should use the maintenance DB as much as possible, and just
> use the user-selectable connection where needed.

OK. This patch now uses only two connections: one to the maintenance DB, one
to a user selected one. They are the same at the beginning but can change if
the user selects another database. If he tries various databases, each
previous connection is closed before opening the new one unless the previous
one is the connection to the maintenance DB.

> BTW - it looks like
> the patch as-is doesn't prevent the user from selecting an entirely
> different server. If the user does that (which doesn't seem entirely
> unreasonable), we need to switch the maintenance DB to the new server
> too.

There's no more a connection toolbar. There is now a database combobox
available on the "standard" toolbar. It is filled at startup. Which means a
user cannot change his connection to an entirely different server.

Patch attached.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org