Re: FSM search modes

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FSM search modes
Date: 2009-09-18 01:47:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> * compact - page selection specifically attempts to find the lowest
> numbered blocks, so that the table will naturally shrink over time.

We cannot shrink the table if one tuple remains at the end of table
and the tuple is always HOT-updated, because we put a new tuple into
the same page where the old tuple is placed if possible.

In addition to your intelligent FSM search modes,
do we need another algorithm to make the compaction to work better?

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center