Re: BUG #4919: CREATE USER command slows down system performance

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Lauris Ulmanis <lauris(dot)ulmanis(at)mykoob(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4919: CREATE USER command slows down system performance
Date: 2009-09-01 02:59:41
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-performance

Lauris Ulmanis wrote:

> When user count in Postgres database reaches up to 500 000 - database
> command of creating users 'CREATE USER' slows down to 5-10 seconds per user.

A bunch of commits along the direction of eliminating what we thought
was the main cause of the slowdown have just concluded. If you could
grab the current CVS version (or alternative a snapshot tarball from the
FTP, but make sure it contains my commit as of 5 minutes ago) and try
your test case with it, it would be great.