Lotus Approach like "find" function (ie CTRL-F) in some libre forms client?

From: Zenaan Harkness <zen(at)freedbms(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Lotus Approach like "find" function (ie CTRL-F) in some libre forms client?
Date: 2009-08-29 23:59:14
Lists: pgsql-general

I am charged with migrating a Lotus Approach db + forms.

Approach (97 I think :) has this function where, when viewing a record
or within a form (or in the spreadsheet view for that matter) one can
press CTRL-F, for "find records".

The form I am on becomes a blank form (all fields cleared, but all
fields for that form still present on the form) and I can enter text
into any field, with wildcards. Primarily * to represent zero or more
characters is what we use.

We are just learning PG, as our Approach replacement.

Is there a libre db forms client which we can use to get this same
functionality?

If not, as a last resort backup plan, can anyone recommend a proprietary
db forms client which can achieve this functionality?

Just to be clear on how Approach works:

The "select" that occurs when pressing ENTER is an AND of each field's
select criteria. This allows us to do a more specific search of records,
by entering (if we know it) a small portion of extra data (eg part of a
phone number), or a more general search (enter less of the name field
for example, perhaps I just misspelt it and that's why I got no search
results, so I just shorten the name to the part that I know must be
spelt right, adding wildcards where appropriate.

For example if searching for a Susan Macaby, and I don't know if she has
a middle name or not, and I'm not sure on the spelling of her last name,
I might search for "Susan*Ma*b*" (without the quotes) which will be
pretty well guaranted to bring up her record. But where I know more
information I put it, with less or no wildcards, to cause a faster
search to occur.

TIA
Zenaan