Re: [pgsql-hackers] Daily digest v1.9418 (15 messages)

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-hackers] Daily digest v1.9418 (15 messages)
Date: 2009-08-29 09:02:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 01:12:20PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> This is pretty cool, IMO. Admittedly, it does seem hard to bottle it,
> but you managed it, so it's not completely impossible. What you could
> for this kind of thing is a series of patches and driver scripts, so
> you build PostgreSQL with the patch, then run the driver script
> against it. Probably we'd want to standardize some kind of framework
> for the driver scripts, once we had a list of ideas for testing and
> some idea what it should look like.

Another similar idea I've had in the back of my head for a while is to
setup postgres so it is the only process in a VM. Subsequently after
every single write() syscall, snapshot the filesystem and then run the
recovery process over each one.

It would likely take an unbeleivably long time to run, and maybe
there's some trick to speed it up, but together with code coverage
results it could give you good results as to the reliability of the
recovery process.

Probably more a research project than anything else though.

Have a nice day,