Re: 8.5 development schedule

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: 8.5 development schedule
Date: 2009-07-01 17:33:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>
> > I realize there is the perception that the large patches that were
> > eventually rejected held up the release, but for all the patches I
> > can think of, they were not rejected immediately _because_ we had
> > other valid patches to work on. Once all valid patches were
> > applied, we were quickly able to reject the large unready patches.
> >
> > So, rejecting the large patches earily would not have significantly
> > moved the release date earlier.
>
> Like Robert, I'm extremely skeptical of this claim, for the same
> reasons.
>
> However, even the *possibility* that this could be true is pretty
> scary. If we need to effectively shut down new development for seven
> months at the end of a release, in addition to the interim commit
> fests, we'd better get a handle on why, so that can change. To what
> do you attribute the extended time needed to handle the final CF?
> How can that be made better?

We had many patches that had been through previous commit-fests with
minor adjustments and we had to finalize them before we could close the
final commit-fest. To be clear I am talking about patches that were
eventually applied in 8.4, not patches that were rejected for 8.4.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com