Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up

From: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up
Date: 2009-05-29 17:03:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> [090529 11:45]:
> Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
>
> > Yes, but the point is you want an exact replica of CVS right? You're
> > git repo should have $PostgreSQL$ and the cvs export/checkout (you do
> > use -kk right) should also have $PostgreSQL$.
> >
> > The 3 parsecvs errors were that it *didn't* recognoze the strange
> > $PostgreSQL ... Exp $ expansion that cvs did.
>
> Huh, no -- I agree that $OpenBSD$ etc should remain (we don't munge them
> anyway), but $PostgreSQL$, $Id$, $Revision$ etc tags are best gone
> because, as Markus says, their expansion interferes with content hashing.

I *think* you're actually agreeing with me. *Hiding* the diffs that
include munching of keywords is not what we want. We want the
conversion to *not* munge "keyword-like" things (No, $OpenBSD$ is *not*
a keyword in the PostgreSQL CVS repository. But $PostgreSQL$ *is*.

So we want the conversion to be identical to:
cvs export -kk -r $tag

That will have *keywords* be unexpanded; namely these specific ones:
Author
Date
Header
Id
Locker
Log
Name
RCSfile
Revision
Source
State
PostgreSQL
but *not* "keyword-like" entries, like:
$ NetBSD ... Exp $
$ FreeBSD ... Exp $
$ OpenBSD ... Exp $
$ KAME ... Exp $
which are *not* CVS keywords in the PostgreSQL repository.

i.e. Just like I said, "identical to cvs checkout/export -kk.

Now, and intersting question, do you want the "perfect" conversion to
contain *other* keyword un-expansion possiblities that would have happened
on any commits on Nov 29/30 2003 when CVSROOT/options contained:
+tagexpand=iPostgreSQL
If you had checked out something on that day, even with a -kk, $Log$
would have been expanded, because for that day, $Log$ was *not* an
eligable keyword on the PostgreSQL CVS repository.

Whooee... Fun with CVS history....

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk Create like a god,
aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca command like a king,