BUG #4786: Solution for: PostgreSQL server did not start (NET HELPMSG 3534)

From: "Pablo M(dot) Ronchi" <pmronchi(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)ar>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #4786: Solution for: PostgreSQL server did not start (NET HELPMSG 3534)
Date: 2009-05-01 01:07:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 4786
Logged by: Pablo M. Ronchi
Email address: pmronchi(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)ar
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.x
Operating system: Windows XP 32bit
HELPMSG 3534)
Details:

I couldn't start the server, even after reinstalling the whole 8.3.7.1
version. There was an error saying "(NET HELPMSG 3534)" among other things.
After searching the Internet, I've found others asking for the solution of
the same problem but in versions prior to 8.3.x also.

SOLUTION FOUND FOR WINDOWS XP
(perhaps it can orient the solution in Linux)

Go to:

1) Start - Control Panel - Administrator Tools - Services.

Note: In other Windows versions it can be just:
Start - Control Panel - Services.

2) Look for the service called "PostgreSQL Server <your version number>" in
the right panel of the "Services" window, right click on it and select
"Properties" (or click on it and in the menu select: Action - Properties).

Note: In my system, I had "Services (local)"
selected in the left panel of the "Services"
window. It was the only option, besides.

3) In the "Properties" dialog click on the "Start Sesion" tab and change the
radio button from "This account" to "Local System Account" (names can be
slightly different, I'm translating from Spanish to English). That's all.

Note: In my case, at least, I didn't check the control with the legend
"Allow this services to interact with the desktop"

4) Accept everything and close the "Properties" dialog.

I hope this will help.

Pablo