pg_restore -j <nothing>

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_restore -j <nothing>
Date: 2009-04-22 22:26:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I just noticed (!) that Make accepts an argument-less -j option, which
it takes to mean "use as many parallel jobs as possible". As far as I
see in our pg_restore code, we don't even accept an argumentless -j
option; was this deviation from the Make precedent on purpose, or were
we just not following Make at all on this?

I have to admit that I'm not really sure whether this kind of usage
would be a reasonable thing for pg_restore to support.

(Even if this was a good idea, I'm not suggesting that it be implemented
for 8.4. But if it is, then maybe it deserves a TODO entry.)

Thoughts?