Re: log_min_duration_statement units

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: log_min_duration_statement units
Date: 2009-04-07 23:43:23
Lists: pgsql-docs

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> writes:
> >
> > > Right, the problem particularly is with the -1/special values that don't
> > > have a real unit.
> >
> > I don't object to what you did to postgresql.conf.sample, but I think
> > you should revert the changes to the descriptions in guc.c.
>
> Agreed; attached patch applied.

However, keep in mind that units are _not_ displayed for zero values:

test=> show statement_timeout;
statement_timeout
-------------------
0
(1 row)

test=> set statement_timeout = 100;
SET
test=> show statement_timeout;
statement_timeout
100ms
(1 row)

because of this test in guc.c:

else if (use_units && result > 0 &&
(record->flags & GUC_UNIT_TIME))

pg_settings does show the units. Changing this to display the units
might be odd since many zero values mean 'disabled'.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com