Re: How to get SE-PostgreSQL acceptable

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, Joshua Brindle <method(at)manicmethod(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: How to get SE-PostgreSQL acceptable
Date: 2009-01-29 02:22:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

KaiGai,

* KaiGai Kohei (kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com) wrote:
> Obviously, we cannot make clear state of the row-level access
> controls by the date of v8.4 freeze.

Indeed, I have to agree that's where things are headed, which is
certainly unfortunate but I think it's good that we were able to provide
some additional feedback on what the PG community is looking for.

> I agree the row-level access controls can be separated and
> postponed to v8.5 development cycle.

Having row-level security would be very nice in 8.5.

> So, I'll cut off a few part of previous patches for v8.4.
> Stephen Frost gave me a guideline about what should be remained
> or postponed *now*. It is SE-PG feature covers granularity
> existing PG facility enables to provide.
> (Typically, table/column level checks without row level)

This feels like a pretty reasonable compromise to me, and was based on
Peter's suggestion of an overall plan, but I'm not a committer and I
havn't seen any response to my request that they comment on that plan.
I'm sure your enthusiasm is appreciated though, and regardless of its
inclusion in 8.4, one of Peter's points was to develop the patches as
smaller changes that build on each other anyway.

Thanks,

Stephen