Re: encoding of PostgreSQL messages

From: Karsten Hilbert <Karsten(dot)Hilbert(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: encoding of PostgreSQL messages
Date: 2008-12-31 09:46:56
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 09:07:14AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > That would not quite be enough -- I am talking about
> > messages reported *during* auth, say
> >
> > FATAL: password authentication failed for user "postgres"
> >
> > or
> >
> > fe_sendauth: no password supplied
> >
> > both of which, in other locales, may contain non-ASCII characters.
>
> Those are sent in the server encoding IIRC (which admittedly you don't
> have a way to know, at that point.)
>
> And I'm now wondering if we should delay initializing the translation
> stuff until after client_encoding has been reported.

Or else

- just don't pass those messages through gettext so they are
always in 7 bit ASCII English

- do pass them through gettext but append a 7-bit ASCII
filter so things do get passed in pseudo ASCII (this will
work for many singlebyte encodings but more often than
not for multibyte ones)

Both changes would be less intrusive than postponing the
translation.

If I had a choice I would opt for the first.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD 4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346