Re: PGCon 2008 RFP

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Robert Bernier <robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Dan Langille <dan(at)langille(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGCon 2008 RFP
Date: 2008-12-29 20:37:18
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 15:25 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > David Fetter wrote:
> > > Apart from, "some entity somewhere else has done unspecified work for
> > > their purposes, which may or may not have anything to do with this,"
> > > you haven't even started making your case for the first part.
> >
> > And how exactly would a template work? I use LyX/LaTeX to create all my
> > presentations as PDFs. How do I include a template in that case? Are
> > you assuming everyone uses Powerpoint or Open Office?
> >
> > I have to say I have never used a conference or company-supplied
> > template in any of my presentations, and I don't think anyone has asked
> > either.
>
> Well I think you did for West :P but, that isn't the point. I think the
> real deal here is... everyone presents in their own way. At Pg
> Conference we have had lyx/latex, plain text, html, pdf, powerpoint
> etc... I don't think it is realistic to make people change that.

Oh, I forgot --- I talked at a company event and the company converted
my slides to Powerpoint so it would have the same template as everyone
else. The problem was that the Powerpoint lost some of the quality of
the graphics so I am unclear if it was worth the conversion.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com