Re: File system level backup with more than one cluster folders

From: Tino Schwarze <postgresql(at)tisc(dot)de>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: File system level backup with more than one cluster folders
Date: 2008-12-10 10:13:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Mike,

> I am newbie with PostgreSQL. I have separate table space for my
> databases, which is located in separate folder, which is different to
> default. I would like to carry out file system level backup. Do I need
> to backup only folder with my table space or all pg folders.

Do you know that a file system level backup is only useful if

a) the postgres instance is stopped
or
b) your are using WAL archiving and have an appropiate setup to tell PG
about backup starts and ends

You need to backup any file system structure belonging to your PG
database.

HTH,

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de