Re: How to know the password for the user 'postgres'

From: Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to know the password for the user 'postgres'
Date: 2008-10-28 12:32:17
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:42:47AM +0100, Thomas wrote:
> An easy trick I have found to set postgres password: $ sudo passwd
> postgres, and now you can type a new password. So now you can switch
> user with: $ su postgres, and then connect to the DB with psql.

Won't that allow logins to the postgres account then? If there's no
password then logins (either locally, ssh, or whatever is configured)
can't happen and your data is going to be safer. Going in through root
first may require five more characters to be typed (or less if you
create an alias), but wont create any backdoors.

Sam