Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Allow pg_regress to be run outside the build tree.

From: Bjorn Munch <Bjorn(dot)Munch(at)sun(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Allow pg_regress to be run outside the build tree.
Date: 2008-10-03 07:29:35
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 02/10 17.29, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> >>I think the right fix would be to convert those .sql files to
> >>input/*.source files and have pg_regress substitute the absolute
> >>directory names in them, like it is done for the backend.
> >
> >Ugh. I don't think it's acceptable to make contrib modules have to do
> >that. Even if we fix all the ones in core, what of other people relying
> >on the pgxs infrastructure?
>
> Yeah, true. Maybe copy the data directory over, but let pg_regress do it?

For the record: when I integrated the pg_regress test suite (8.3.3)
into OpenSolaris recently, I worked around various problems by making
a wrapper script pg_regress.sh which copies everything into a
temporary directory structure and then runs pg_regress from there.

This involved creating three levels of dummy directories due to some
hardcoded "../../../" in paths. A bit ugly, but then this package
isn't to be included in the standard distribution to end users, but
will be used by Solaris QA.

--
Bjorn Munch Sun Microsystems
Trondheim, Norway http://sun.com/postgresql/