BUG #4327: Primary key not refresh after cascaded deleted

From: "Sam Wong" <sam(at)hellosam(dot)net>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #4327: Primary key not refresh after cascaded deleted
Date: 2008-07-27 08:41:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 4327
Logged by: Sam Wong
Email address: sam(at)hellosam(dot)net
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.1
Operating system: Linux Debian
Details:

Say, I have two table A and B.

That A has one column:
A_primary_col
...and keys:
PRIMARY KEY (A_primary_col)

That B has two columns:
B_primary_col, A_reference
...and keys:
PRIMARY KEY (b_primary_col)
FOREIGN KEY (A_reference) REFERENCES A(A_primary_col) ON DELETE CASCADE

Now I inserted the following records into
into A:
1
2
3

into B:
A,1
B,2
C,3

Now I delete all records from A:
DELETE FROM A;
so that both table is empty now.

Now when I try to insert the following:
into A:
4

Then when I try to insert the following into B:
A,4

Expected Behavior:
it will insert with no problem

Actual Behavior:
it will say
duplicate key value violates unique constraint "B_primary_column_pkey".

Workaround:
Analyze the table B.

I believe that's a bug that the primary key index is not updated
accordingly? Thanks.