Re: how to fix problem then when two queries run at the same time, it takes longer to complete then if run in sequence

From: Albert Cervera Areny <albert(at)sedifa(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, Miernik <public(at)public(dot)miernik(dot)name>
Subject: Re: how to fix problem then when two queries run at the same time, it takes longer to complete then if run in sequence
Date: 2008-07-24 07:38:28
Lists: pgsql-performance

A Dimecres 23 Juliol 2008, Miernik va escriure:
> I have a PostgreSQL database on a very low-resource Xen virtual machine,
> 48 MB RAM. When two queries run at the same time, it takes longer to
> complete then if run in sequence. Is there perhaps a way to install
> something like a query sequencer, which would process queries in a FIFO
> manner, one at a time, even if a new query comes before the last one
> running is finished, it would not give the new query to the server
> before the one running now finishes? That would greatly improve
> performance.

You didn't mention your PostgreSQL version. Since 8.3 there's "synchronized
scans" which greatly improves performance if concurrent queries have to do a
sequential scan on the same table. Of course, if queries don't hit the same
table there'll be no improvements in performance...