Re: Warm standby server

From: "Scott Whitney" <swhitney(at)journyx(dot)com>
To: "'Montaseri'" <montaseri(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "'Simon Riggs'" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Warm standby server
Date: 2008-06-26 18:28:31
Lists: pgsql-admin

I was thinking along the same lines. However, having 2 standby servers is a
must for us. If my colocation center gets razed to the ground, I need to
have a standby server elsewhere. Having one at the colocation center is for
soft/hardware disasters on any primary. Having one at my office is for
facility disasters at the colocation center.

I envision it working like this:

The archive command pseudocode will be:

rsync <mywalfile> someone(at)abox

The standby slave servers will then continually rsync that directory while
in recovery mode.

Reading the docs, it looks as if this should work.

It's also my understanding that the archive command happens asynchronously,
so it shouldn't affect the overall performance of the primary. Regardless,
my proposed solution should handle such a scenario.