Re: Booth Swag

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Booth Swag
Date: 2008-06-12 17:51:25
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Josh,

> Well it isn't even that honestly. The cost is less than 3k USD which is
> not a big deal. The question is value to the customer. Consider that I
> can purchase a 4GB pen drive for for <20.00 USD. Why do I want a 1GB
> model? Because it has a cute elephant on it?

Also, at trade shows, some commercial vendors will be handing out 256MB pen
drives for a free registration.

> Don't get me wrong, I still think it is a positive direction in
> comparison to using CDs. I seriously think we need to completely dump
> handing out CDs. They are wasteful and *anyone* who is going to pick one
> up at OSCON or LWE or any other US show, has broadband.

Thing is, the CDs have symbolic value. They say "This is truly free software,
here's a full-feature copy which you can use for any purpose." Again, I
think this is a difference for commercial as opposed to OSS conferences; I
also see less value in CDs at OSCON, FOSDEM, and other pure-OSS conferences
where people know how to download stuff.

The other reason we started doing the "live CDs" was because one of the
(unjustified) complaints about PostgreSQL was that it was hard to install &
set up. Having a "live demo" which people could boot and play with was a
refutation of that. That perception still exists, and I haven't heard a
better way of addressing it.

Also, some people *do* pass along CDs to friends who don't have broadband.

> In comparison the stickers, which are approximately the same cost as the
> CDs would be, will be seen all over the place. People will put that on
> notebooks, monitors, laptops etc... That is branding that is worth a lot
> more than a little pen drive.

+1 on stickers. I think there is no question there. I especially want an
elephant which masks the little "apple" on my MacBook and lights up.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun