Re: problem with pgadmin 1.8.2 to keep connection to postgresql 8.2.6

From: "Sebastian Reitenbach" <sebastia(at)l00-bugdead-prods(dot)de>
To: dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problem with pgadmin 1.8.2 to keep connection to postgresql 8.2.6
Date: 2008-05-20 08:01:56
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi,
"Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Sebastian Reitenbach
> <sebastia(at)l00-bugdead-prods(dot)de> wrote:
> > "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> > it
> > reproducible,
> > the
> > from
> >>
> >> Well that's, umm surprising. There is no --sync option in pgAdmin - in
> >> fact I get an error if I try to use it on Windows or Mac (I don't have
> >> a GTK system here atm). Can you get an exact copy of the text which
> >> recommended you use it?
> > Afaik the error message came from the X server, so yes, not a pgadmin3
> > parameter.
> > It said sth. like:
> > When an X application crashes, the error message is asynchron, and
therefore
> > usually not shows the real cause of the problem. When you want to run
the
> > application from within gdb, then use --sync, to get the right
backtrace.
> > The --sync is I think automatically added to each X application, from
the X
> > server, or window manager, whoever there is responsible.
>
> Hmm, OK - I did wonder if it were something like that.
>
> > When I get the error again, then I cut 'n past the output in here, I got
> > this only once.
>
> Please do. FWIW, there are no known bugs in pgAdmin that would cause
> connections to drop as you describe (in fact, the connections are
> handled by libpq, so it would be largely out of our control anyway) -
> and it should be handled gracefully by pgAdmin when it does happen for
> other reasons. I have heard a report in the past that for one person
> that wasn't the case, but I was unable to reproduce any problems when
> deliberately causing connection problems.

sorry, it took me a while to get back to the machines again, however, here
is the error output cut 'n pasted:

So, after submitting the same query, for about 10 times, then instead of the
result set, the following was shown in the sql output window of pgadmin3:
********** Error **********

Then, when I try to submit the query again, an error popup window shows up,
stating the following:

==================================
An error has occurred:

no connection to the server
==================================
and at the same time, on the console the following appears:

==================================
Xlib: sequence lost (0xd5bf8 > 0xc5bfa) in reply type 0xf!
Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0xc5c81)!
==================================

When I then try to close the error window, it is not closing, I klick
the "close" or "ok" or however the button is called, the button several
times, and then pgadmin3 disappears at all, leaving the following message on
the console:

==================================
The program 'pgadmin3' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)'.
(Details: serial 967950 error_code 5 request_code 18 minor_code 0)

I also retested, with psql from commandline, using the same query,
and I was able to issue it about 50 times in a fast row, before I stopped
again.

I also tried pgadmin 1.8.1, and I did ran into the same problem, but it
seems that the problem does not occur so fast, but maybe that was just
coincidence.

Sebastian