Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6
Date: 2008-05-16 01:14:41
Lists: pgsql-patches

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Second, it's not nearly as easy as that:
> . new commands have been added
> . postgres features have been added
> . catalogs have changed

Well, this just means a different piece of SQL needs to be sent for a
command depending on the server version, right? It's not like that's
tremendously different. The nice thing about most \X commands is that
they embed everything they need in a bunch of SQL, and they don't need
much else in C code. So it's not all that difficult.

And for commands that have been added later, an initial version could
just say "this server version does not support this command". It would
be already a huge improvement.

Probably the biggest change would be to support versions that did not
have schemas, but I think it would be OK to punt on that. We already
stopped supporting 7.2 anyway.