Re: order of entries in admin docs

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: order of entries in admin docs
Date: 2008-05-07 18:27:04
Lists: pgsql-docs

Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> > Scott Marlowe wrote:
> > > The more I read the docs, the more moving client authentication seems
> > > to make sense. In fact, the authentication problems section is
> > > probably the perfect final bit to the Connections and Authentication
> > > section. I'd move it up a level, so that it looked something like
> > > this:
> > >
> > > 18.3. Connections and Authentication
> > >
> > > 18.3.1. Connection Settings
> > > 18.3.2. Security and Authentication
> > > 18.3.3. The pg_hba.conf file
> > > 18.3.4. Authentication methods
> > > 18.3.5. Authentication problems
> > >
> > > Unless a different level of indentation makes more sense, which I
> > > could totally understand.
> > >
> > > It definitely follows the flow of setting up a pg server better for
> > > me. I might even move the pg_hba.conf file to 18.3.1 up there. It is
> > > pretty much a firewall.
> >
> > I don't think this change makes sense --- All the "Connection Settings"
> > stuff is in postgresql.conf. Pulling authentication in there will be too
> > complex, I am afraid.
>
> Well, if you say so. It seems like a natural part of it to me, but
> the modifications required to move things like that are pretty big,
> and I really don't feel comfortable enough in sgml to get it right.

Right now we have all postgresql.conf documentation in the same chapter.
To move it would split that up, which I think is confusing.

> The other move still makes more sense to me than the way it was
> originally though.

I did move the Authentication chapter up to after Configuration
Settings so the order now is:

17. Operating System Environment
18. Server Configuration
19. Client Authentication