Re: Libpq visual c++ build errors, addrinfo and sockaddr_storage redefinition error

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: "Pierre Joye" <pierre(dot)php(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Libpq visual c++ build errors, addrinfo and sockaddr_storage redefinition error
Date: 2008-05-06 11:36:47
Lists: pgsql-ports

Pierre Joye wrote:
> hi,
>
> While trying to update the PHP postgresql extension to 8.3.1, I met a
> couple of issues.
>
> The first was about not using kerberos, the makefile is incorrect as
> an error will be raised when kerberos is used and no kerberos is used.

First of all, what version of MSVC are you building this with? And what
version of the Platform SDK?

Second, is there any particular reason you need to build it yourself,
instead of using the binaries that we ship already?

And third, I'd recommend you try to build it using the "main method"
which is using the tools in src/tools/msvc, and not the win32.mak
method. It's much more complete. You can build "just libpq" that way as
well.

> The 2nd problem is about Shell32.lib, it is missing in the lib list.
> It is required for SHGetFolderPath.

That's strange, because if that was so then nobody should be able to
build it. We should be getting the symbol from shfolder.lib.

> The last two problems are more tricky. It is about addrinfo and
> sockaddr. addrinfo is actually defined on windows and seems to have
> the correct order of the structure elements (see the comment in
> src/include/getaddrinfo.h). Removing this declaration seems to work
> (not tested yet).

Again, you seem to be doing *something* wrong here, because it builds
perfectly fine for others. :-) Anything "unusual" about your
environment, that you would guess?

(And do try the "real" backend build way instead of win32.mak. Even if
it doesn't fix your issue, it might help with showing us what actually
is wrong)

//Magnus