UTF8 server & "ANSI"-Client: Which Driver?

From: Jan-Peter(dot)Seifert(at)gmx(dot)de
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: UTF8 server & "ANSI"-Client: Which Driver?
Date: 2008-04-28 15:25:45
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi,

http://psqlodbc.projects.postgresql.org/faq.html#2.5

As the subject suggests I want to connect to a Unicode database with a Windows application that is not capable of handling Unicode yet. Should I use the Unicode version of the driver and set the client_encoding in the Advanced Options, Page 2, connect settings for the data source in question?
Or is there a compatibility option in either of the two drivers? Or isn't this supported 'enough' yet? The database is only to be filled with characters included in the chosen '1 byte' client encoding (most likely CP1252).

Thank you very much,

Peter