BUG #4127: pg_dumpall -c unable to be restored without error

From: "Jacob Champlin" <jacobc(at)rentec(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #4127: pg_dumpall -c unable to be restored without error
Date: 2008-04-24 16:37:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 4127
Logged by: Jacob Champlin
Email address: jacobc(at)rentec(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.1.11
Operating system: SuSE 10.1
Details:

In 8.0 I would do a pg_dumpall -c to backup my database.

In 8.1 you guys have added functionality to the -c flag to make it now DROP
and Recreate Roles. Nice feature and seems to be the right thing to do.

However, with the DROP Roles in the file this causes the file to not be able
to be restored.

psql -f restore.sql

results in:

psql:/var/lib/pgsql/backups/restore.sql:11: ERROR: current user cannot be
dropped
psql:/var/lib/pgsql/backups/restore.sql:12: ERROR: role "postgres" already
exists
psql:/var/lib/pgsql/backups/restore.sql:17: ERROR: role "webapp" cannot be
dropped because some objects depend on it
DETAIL: access to database rief
113 objects in database rief
psql:/var/lib/pgsql/backups/restore.sql:18: ERROR: role "webapp" already
exists