Re: Patch queue -> wiki (was varadic patch)

From: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch queue -> wiki (was varadic patch)
Date: 2008-04-03 14:04:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

The one concern I have with the way the last commitfest went (and I say
this as strictly an observer), there was no "discussion" on anything.

Now, I know that "discussion" happened, but it happened somewhere, in some
web-forum, in a community that seems to generally promote mailing lists
as the preferred method of "discussion".

As an observer, who generally doesn't have much input "code wise", but
occasionally might have an observation as a user, *I* would love to see
the "commitfest patch-queue" be something pretty "simple", along the
lines of a big list of:

1) item name, submission date, author
2a) item intention (maybe a see $MSGID)
2b) item (see $MSGID)
3) status summary (in discussion, applied, needs $improvements,
rejected, see $MSGID"

Note I said "item" because it appears as if the consensus is that the
commit-fest has to deal with more than just patches, but also proposals,
and "fork-in-the-road" details.

And no, I don't think it should included the 2K emails. It should can
the $N "items" needing to be dealt with, and a list of pointers to
messages (which generally lead to threads), with a simple status
list/summary for each one (again with pointers to $MSGID where specific
information might be needed).

Basically, I would like to see the "patch queue" be more a
summary/pointer of/to discussion, then some web forum where the
discussion happens. And I would like the "mailling lists" be where the
discussion of items in the patch queue happens.

But all this is the opinion of an observing devellopper, not involved in
any of the heavy-lifting, but as someone who would like to keep an eye
on what patches are presented, and their strengths/deficiencies, so that
when I present my first patch/proposal, hopefully I can avoid most of
the pitfalls.

But don't cater to me. Cater to Tom and Bruce, who are the ones who
actually use whatever is in place. Since they are the ones doing the
work, I have to accept (or ignore) whatever system they use.

a.

* Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> [080402 19:36]:

--
Aidan Van Dyk Create like a god,
aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca command like a king,