Re: namespace issues ...

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <andreas(at)scherbaum(dot)biz>, Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)miracee(dot)de>, pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: namespace issues ...
Date: 2008-03-22 21:28:58
Lists: pgeu-general

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008, Dave Page wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 8:56 PM, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> wrote:
>>

>> > Marc, what is the status of this change?
>>
>> I'm afraid? :)
>
> Good answer :-)

Easy to delete a list ... renaming involves a bit more :)

>> easily rename the archive files themselves, its the messages themselves
>> that are a bit difficult ... do I leave those archives 'as is', or should
>> I do a mass search-n-replace of 'pgeu-general' -> pgeu-general' inside
>> of them so that all the To/From addresses get changed?
>>
>> Opinions on this?
>
> You'd do the mboxes I assume, and then regenerate the archives? That
> should work I guess, as long as no incoming mail hits an mbox whilst
> you're rewriting it.

Is pgeu-general on the archives, or excluded? is it just teh -board
list that is excluded?

Basically, what I'd propose is:

shutdown mail server during name change
mv (and make a copy of) pgeu-general to pgeu-general (at the file
system level)
regenerate alias/virtual table
edit config file and mboxes and change all occurances of pgeu-general
to pgeu-general
add pgeu-general to exclusion list
restart mail server

the backup of the original files would be in case I'm wrong about how
majordomo regenerates its aliases file ... I believe its straight from teh
file system, but a backup would ensure that I could put it back
quick/easily if I'm wrong ...

If that sounds good to you, I'll do it late tonight and send a note out
once completed, which will act as a test at teh same time ...