Re: WAL Log Size

From: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)simkin(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WAL Log Size
Date: 2008-02-28 18:51:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thursday 28 February 2008, John Evans <admin(at)kilnar(dot)com> wrote:
> I've heard that upgrading to 8.2 or 8.3 will allow me to setup a
> timeout value for WAL log creation, but upgrading at this time is not an
> option for various reasons.
>
> Any insight that you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Write a script that does "something" that results in 16MB of WAL logging and
run it whenever you want a rotation to occur. Inserting a few hundred
thousand rows into an otherwise empty table should work. If it's not
indexed it won't impact your server much, especially if your normal
transaction volume is that low.

--
Alan