Re: Is PostGreSql's Data storage mechanism "inferior"?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Swaminathan Saikumar" <swami(at)giveexam(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is PostGreSql's Data storage mechanism "inferior"?
Date: 2008-01-31 00:06:57
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:11:05 -0800
"Swaminathan Saikumar" <swami(at)giveexam(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to PostGreSql.
>
> http://searchyourwebhost.com/web-hosting/articles/insight-database-hosting-using-sql

> The cons of PostgreSql Hosting
> * Performance considerations: Inserts and Updates into the PostgreSql
> database is much slower compared to MySql. PostgreSql hosting thus
> might slow down the display of the web page online.

Not when data integrity comes into play.

> * BSD license issues: Since PostgreSql comes under the Berkeley
> license scheme, this is again considered to be too open.

Exactly how is too open a bad thing?

> * Availability of inferior Data Storage mechanism: PostgreSql uses
> Postgres storage system, which is not considered to be transaction
> sae during PostgreSql hosting.

Uhmm that is a blatant lie.

> * Its not far-flung: While MySql hosting and MSSql hosting have deeply
> penetrated into the market, PostgreSql hosting still remains to be
> passive in the database hosting market.

I know many postgresql hosting companies.

> * Non-availability of required assistance for PostgreSql hosting:
> Assistance is being provided via mailing lists. However there is no
> guarantee that the issue faced during PostgreSql hosting would be
> resolved.

Say what?

http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Thanks!

- --
PostgreSQL SPI Liaison | SPI Director | PostgreSQL political pundit