Re: Maybe this will help, maybe it won't

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <ads(at)pgug(dot)de>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Maybe this will help, maybe it won't
Date: 2008-01-26 01:11:24
Lists: pgeu-general

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 00:34:59 +0100
"Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <ads(at)pgug(dot)de> wrote:

> > > Things natually get organised in a hierarchical nature because
> > > it's the only way we can deal with things when there are large
> > > numbers of people involved. You yourself for example were talking
> > > only the other day about having a US parent group for the local
> > > PUGs for example.
> >
> > Yes but my arguments don't disagree with the above :)
>
> I think, they do.
>
> Look, we are talking about an -->European<-- -->User<-- Group. What
> does that mean for me: "users from europe". Maybe even "users in
> europe", but naturally not "users somewhere else which is not europe".

It was implied to me that PGEU was meant to be the European SPI for
PostgreSQL. If that is not the case, then a lot of my arguments are
probably not relevant. If that is the case, I believe my arguments are
valid.

> So the primary question is imho: are we discussion an user group or a
> PostgreSQL group? If we answer this question, we have the answer what
> this group will be and who can be a (voting) member of this group.

Agreed.

> > This isn't 1984.. we have jabber (authenticated, encrypted), IRC
> > (can be encrypted and authenticated), SLIC (sp?) (authenticated,
> > encrypted)...
>
> And? Some things stay local, even if you are connected world-wide.
> In any case: having a network which allows communication all over the
> world does not answer the question: what kind of group do we want?

My only point is that physical presence isn't required to be useful :).
Anyway I think your points are absolutely essential. Perhaps I am
misinformed to the purpose of the group.

> > Well no as usual it is a very small number of people "representing"
> > the whole ;)... but I have said my piece. I can't argue any farther
> > or further. If you don't agree so be it. I just wanted to try in
> > get it out there in a single note that could be absorbed. There is
> > always the slim chance that I am wrong. :P
>
> This is not about "right" or "wrong". Your throw-in makes sense, but
> the answer is maybe: we also want a global group.

We have a global group :) that's postgresql.org. Again I have no
problem whatsoever with execution of a PostgreSQL EU. I applaud it and
frankly think it is about time.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --
The PostgreSQL Company: Since 1997, http://www.commandprompt.com/
Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
PostgreSQL SPI Liaison | SPI Director | PostgreSQL political pundit