Re: BUG #3881: lo_open leaks memory

From: Tomasz Ostrowski <tometzky(at)batory(dot)org(dot)pl>
To: Michael Akinde <michael(dot)akinde(at)met(dot)no>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: BUG #3881: lo_open leaks memory
Date: 2008-01-22 14:19:15
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Michael Akinde wrote:

>> What I *do* see is that the process size as reported by "top"
>> quickly jumps to 900MB plus and then sits there. This is not a
>> memory leak though, it is just a side effect of the way "top"
>> reports usage of shared memory.
>
> Also, since the blob is opened and closed, why does the process allocate
> new memory to open a new blob, rather than reuse existing memory?

I think a process does not allocate new memory, it just uses his
shared buffer. The OS does not give physical memory for a process
immediately when it is allocated for example by malloc, it gives it
in chunks - only when it is first read or written to.

Regards
Tometzky
--
...although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a
moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you