more blob questions

From: Kevin Kempter <kevin(at)kevinkempterllc(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: more blob questions
Date: 2008-01-18 04:45:25
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi List;

Suppose I have a table with say an integer key, a char column and a large
object column.

can I simply delete a row from the table (delete from bigtable where...), then
run a vacuum (or vacuum full) ? If so, in this scenario will postgres release
the space back to the OS or must I first remove the large object with
lo_unlink() ?

also, does the contrib vacuumlo perform tasks I cannot do via vacuum and
lo_unlink ?

Thanks in advance..

/Kevin