Re: Release Candidate of the PostgreSQL Europe association statutes

From: damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
To: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release Candidate of the PostgreSQL Europe association statutes
Date: 2008-01-14 14:29:38
Lists: pgeu-general

On Monday 14 January 2008 14:49:10 Magnus Hagander wrote:

> > > Now, a simple solution would be to drop the quorum. This is not
> > > uncommon. An objection to dropping the quorum could be democratic
> > > validity, but as said I think in practice you will always end up with a
> > > non-quorumed GA within 30 days anyway, so democractic calidity is not
> > > an argument.
> >
> > i'm ok with that.
> >
> > There's another quorum of 50% when the General Assembly has to discuss
> > about dissolving the association. Do you want to drop that quorum too ?
>
> How about lowering the quorum, but *also* require approval by the board?
> Meaning that the GA and the board have to both agree to dissolev?

ok

> > > You might want to think about a safeguard against 'takeovers' too: a
> > > rush of new members right before a GA because some malicious party
> > > wants to take-over the voting.
> >
> > Actally only the half of the Board of Directors is renewed every year and
> > members of the Board of Directors are elected for 2 years. So a complete
> > takeover would take 2 years :-)
>
> How's that going to work since we'll vote all boad members in the first
> year? One will only be voted for one year? How do we decide which one?

Actually this is the situation we are facing @ pgfr . Our Board is composed of
11 persons. On January the 30th, we will have to renew the board for the
first time. Half of the board ( 6 persons) have been chosen randomly
as "leaving members" . So we will replace these 6 members. Next year
we will renew the other 5 members.

Of course leaving members can be re-elected.

Apparently i forgot the write that mecanism in the statutes, my bad.

--
damien clochard
http://dalibo.org | http://dalibo.com