Re: postgres cannot access the server configuration file

From: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>
To: "Sebastien ARBOGAST" <sebastien(dot)arbogast(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres cannot access the server configuration file
Date: 2007-12-15 16:58:21
Lists: pgsql-general

"Sebastien ARBOGAST" <sebastien(dot)arbogast(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> 2007/12/15, Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>:
> > "Sebastien ARBOGAST" <sebastien(dot)arbogast(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm trying to start postgreSQL server on my Macbook Pro. I've
> > > installed it using packages available here:
> > > http://www.kyngchaos.com/wiki/software:postgres
> > > But when I try to start up the server running "sudo SystemStarter
> > > start PostgreSQL", I get the following message:
> > >
> > > postgres cannot access the server configuration file
> > > "/usr/local/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf": No such file or directory
> > >
> > > And as a matter of fact, there is no such file in this directory. Do I
> > > have to create it manually?
> >
> > You need to run initdb to create the directory:
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/app-initdb.html
>
> The problem is that I need the password of the postgres user that has
> been created automatically for me. I've tried "postgres" but it
> doesn't seem to work. And since I can't see the user in my Preference
> Pane, I can't change his password.

Please don't top-post. And please don't respond personally to email that
was originated on the mailing list. I've returned
pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org to the list of recipients.

If you installed the software, you obviously have root access, so just change
the postgres password to something you know.

While I'm not familiar with the Mac OS installation procedure, I'd assume
that account was created without login capability (probably without a
password at all) which is good, sound security practice. Software shouldn't
create users with known passwords.

You can also use sudo to switch to the postgres user without needing the
password for the postgres user (although it will probably ask you for the
root password again -- not entirely sure how Mac OS is set up by default)
This approach has become pretty much par for the course on modern POSIX
systems.

Try:

sudo -u postgres initdb

--