Re: Enhancement request

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)uiuc(dot)edu>, posgres support <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Enhancement request
Date: 2007-11-30 22:34:02
Lists: pgsql-admin

Joshua D. Drake escribió:

> Autovacuum is a great utility for many workloads but even with the
> upcoming changes I will continually find myself turning off autovacuum
> for specific relations just so I can turn around and turn on vacuum
> within cron for others.
>
> The multi-worker autovacuum is a great new addition to help part of
> that problem (starvation) but it is not help against the other
> (resource consumption, specifically IO).

Huh, autovac will consume exactly the same amount of I/O as a
user-induced vacuum, so I don't see your point.

Multiworker autovac hasn't been tried on your customer's servers yet.
It may well turn out to be that it is possible to let it do its work
even on the high-update tables or large tables that you currently use
cron for. It might be just a matter of tuning the knobs.

Remember, we're not adding VACUUM SCHEMA in 8.2 so it doesn't make any
sense to try to compare it against the old autovac. And you can bet
that in 8.4 autovac will have even more goodies.

--
Alvaro Herrera Valdivia, Chile ICBM: S 39º 49' 18.1", W 73º 13' 56.4"
"This is a foot just waiting to be shot" (Andrew Dunstan)