Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?
Date: 2007-11-29 17:55:17
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:49:03 -0500
Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 07:55:23AM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Your point? Most companies need to be hit with a cluestick, that
> > doesn't mean they don't do it. There is a very large free wifi
> > provider near me that actually blocks anything that doesn't have
> > www. E.g; they don't block ports, they blocks names!
>
> The only way that will ever improve is if (1) people point out why
> what they're doing is stupid and (2) people who are willing to pay
> for real ISP service stop using them. The IETF has, for instance,
> been using Hiltons a lot recently, and as a result the general
> brain-deadedness of their in-room ISP service has been going down.
> It costs real money to hire non-stupid DBAs; why would we assume that
> the cheapest ISP knows what it's doing?

I don't but... :) unless they are going to pay me to fix it, I am going
to use an ssh tunnel to get around it and ignore them. No it doesn't
help the greater good, but I have work to do and am not going to sit on
the phone with some lame isp trying to explain to them why they are
idiots. I have better things to do.

> > >Nobody should be using "direct SMTP" as such in this day and age.
> > >That's what the submission port is for.
> >
> > That may be correct but it certainly isn't reality.
>
> Everyone who continues to insist that this "reality" must continue is
> a willing contributor to the spambot world. There is a well-defined,
> clear facility for you to show that your mail is legit. If you are
> unwilling to use it, you are just contributing to the problem. That
> said, I agree with you. (The publication of the recent BCP may be
> enough to get my own ISP to fix their stupidity :( -- see the
> headers!)

Could you explain the actual different please? A spambot can't use CMD
to send email, how does the submission port make any difference?

Joshua D. Drake

- --

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
PostgreSQL solutions since 1997 http://www.commandprompt.com/
UNIQUE NOT NULL