Re: PG 7.3 is five years old today

From: sulfinu(at)gmail(dot)com
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PG 7.3 is five years old today
Date: 2007-11-28 15:07:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Gregory Stark wrote:
> > This tells me that the v3 protocol appeared at 7.4, so there's no need to
> > support v2 in future database versions (starting with 8.3?). It would
> > simplify code in interfaces like JDBC too.
>
> I think the second half of this is correct. There would be no need to
> support the old protocol in client interface drivers since the only
> supported databases would all support the new protocol.
>
> Whether there's any need to support the old protocol in the server depends
> on whether there are any clients out there which use it which is harder to
> determine and not affected by whether Postgres 7.3 is still around.

Actually it doesn't make sense to do it halfway (for example, why would you
keep the v2 protocol in the database if it is not supported anymore by
clients?!).
Either you drop v2 support or you don't, if the community is keen on
preserving compatibility between "any" client and "any" database. I for one
am not keen on that. Just as I would drop support for Java older than 1.4 in
the JDBC driver.

Anyway, the decision is not mine.