Re: Get a list of ALL tables

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Kevin Kempter <kevin(at)kevinkempterllc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Get a list of ALL tables
Date: 2007-11-20 10:30:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

Kevin Kempter wrote:
> Sorry, I meant to send this to the list:
>

> We have a handful of tables that are quite large and take several hours to
> vacuum. We're managing these large tables by using cron via a schedule that
> accounts for system load. I want to pull the list of all tables and exclude
> these large tables from the list, then run the vacuum on the remaining tables
> once a week to avoid transaction ID wraparound failures.

You can't do this in 8.1 -- in that release, the only way to advance the
wraparound safety point is to execute a database-wide vacuum. You can't
exclude tables. If you want to be able to do that you'll need to jump
to 8.2.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/CTMLCN8V17R4
"Coge la flor que hoy nace alegre, ufana. ¿Quién sabe si nacera otra mañana?"