Re: Curious about dead rows.

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Curious about dead rows.
Date: 2007-11-14 16:58:23
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 11:53:17AM -0500, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
> that I run only one at a time, or leaving psql running. But as I understand
> it, psql does not bother with transactions, and besides, I normally just do

No, every statement in psql is a transaction. Even SELECT. Every statement
under PostgreSQL runs in a transaction. When you type "SELECT (1)", the
server implicitly adds the BEGIN; and END; around it.

> into my application so that the statistics counters will not count previous
> UPDATEs and ROLLBACKs when the main program that I intend and believe to do
> only INSERTs is running. It will make those statistics easier to read than
> having to subtract previous values to get the changes.

Yes.

> Well, it will not work because I must be superuser (i.e., postgres) to
> execute that, and if I am, I cannot read the input files. I will do it

You could grant superuser status to your user (or just connect as postgres
user) for the time being, while debugging this.

Andrew Sullivan
Old sigs will return after re-constitution of blue smoke