Re: [GENERAL] ascii() for utf8

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Cc: Stuart <smcg2297(at)frii(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] ascii() for utf8
Date: 2007-07-31 13:55:31
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Decibel! wrote:
> Moving to -hackers.
>
> On Jul 27, 2007, at 1:22 PM, Stuart wrote:
>> Does Postgresql have a function like ascii() that will
>> return the unicode codepoint value for a utf8 character?
>> (And symmetrically same for question chr() of course).

> I suspect that this is just a matter of no one scratching the itch. I
> suspect a patch would be accepted, or you could possibly put something on
> pgFoundry.

Nay; there were some discussions about this not long ago, and I think
one conclusion you could draw from them is that many people want these
functions in the backend.

> I'd set it up so that ascii() and chr() act according to the
> appropriate locale setting (I'm not sure which one would be appropriate).

I don't see why any of them would react to the locale, but they surely
must honor client encoding.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.PlanetPostgreSQL.org/
"I dream about dreams about dreams", sang the nightingale