Re: pipe chunking vs Windows

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, "korry(dot)douglas" <korry(dot)douglas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pipe chunking vs Windows
Date: 2007-07-30 07:50:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 06:31:04PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Andreas Pflug wrote:

> >Yes this was intentional, notepad still doesn't like LF line endings.
> >Not my preferred text viewer, but the only one that's always available.
> >

> Not for Wordpad though, and it's pretty universal too. And Notepad won't
> load a file of any great size anyway. Furthermore, we just can't have

Just for the record, that hasn't been true for a long time. Notepad opens
large files just fine (well, fine is a matter of definition, since it needs
to load the whole file in RAM which is interesting when you open gigabyte
size files. But IIRC, so does wordpad).

And notepad doesn't carry the risk of people saving the file in word format
(yes, this happens all too frequently from what I've seen)

//Magnus