Re: Bgwriter LRU cleaning: we've been going at this all wrong

From: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bgwriter LRU cleaning: we've been going at this all wrong
Date: 2007-06-28 04:19:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> wrote:

> If your entire buffer cache is mostly filled with dirty buffers with high
> usage counts, you are in for a long wait when you need new buffers
> allocated and your next checkpoint is going to be traumatic.

Do you need to increase shared_buffers in such case?

I think the condition (mostly buffers have high usage counts) is
very undesirable for us and near out-of-memory. We should deal with
such cases, of course, but is it a more effective solution to make
room in shared_buffers?

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro