Re: Deletes hurt

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Deletes hurt
Date: 2007-05-31 16:58:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 09:23:01AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Right. Where we just mark the row as dead and have to vacuum. We just
> delay the pain ;).

They've delayed the pain too. This is actually an illustration of
what Tom Lane said recently -- that the strategy of paying the cost
of maintenance outside the main transaction path is intrinsically
superior, because you don't have to pay it while your user is sitting
there waiting for you.

The plural of anecdote is not data.
--Roger Brinner