Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)myyearbook(dot)com>, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues
Date: 2007-05-18 02:21:36
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thursday 17 May 2007 17:54, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> >> I think for one, mysql uses tables for all of its access control.
> >> Coding plesk/cpanel to modify pg_hba.conf and rehup postgres would take
> >> a bit more work, I would imagine.
> >
> > In a lot of environments, it'd certainly be impossible, at least until
> > we make it possible to edit the config files remote... (oops, recap of
> > endless amounts of discussions on letting pgadmin do that..)

Really this is already pretty doable at this point if your willing to be
intrusive about things (which I think the plesk people probably are).

> Well more to the point. There really is zero reason why we can't have a
> table representation of pg_hba_conf that is the pg_hba.conf file that
> has triggers that right out the file.

It's not quite that simple, since tables are conceptually unordered, but the
pg_hba uses order to make it work, but this could probably be worked out if
you could get people to agree that user management in the db was acceptable.
Personally if you're just going to stick with a system tied to the
pg_hba.conf, I don't think this step is really needed.

> >> Do we really want to pursue making PostgreSQL easier to admin for the
> >> non-system admin? Cpanel and plesk and like tools are pretty far down
> >> the list of important things to support or code for.
> >
> > If we want to make inroads into shared-hosting environments, it would
> > certainly help...
>
> It is not just shared hosting... dedicated hosting starts as little as
> 69.00 with Cpanel :)...
>
> Note that I am not advocating making it easier for Cpanel. I am just
> making a point that it is not limited to shared hosting.
>
> I am however advocating that it is pretty dumb that our conf files are
> *required* as a little text file on the filesystem and can not be
> managed via the database.

agreed.

--
Robert Treat