Re: [GENERAL] pg_buffercache view

From: "Sorin N(dot) Ciolofan" <ciolofan(at)ics(dot)forth(dot)gr>
To: "'Bill Moran'" <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] pg_buffercache view
Date: 2007-04-24 13:24:02
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Dear Mr. Bill Moran,

Thank you for your answer.

1) To be more clear I would like to construct a query using the reldatabase
column. In that query you quoted I can't identify the reldatabase column. I
want a query that will help me to list how many buffers are used by each
database

Maybe something like:

SELECT d.datname, count(*) AS buffers

FROM pg_database d, pg_buffercache b

WHERE d.X = b.reldatabase

GROUP BY b.reldatabase

ORDER BY 2 DESC LIMIT 10;

I would like, if possible, to know which is the name of this X which
corresponds to reldatabase column

2) I don't know exactly which is the modality the buffers are used. Is it
possible that all buffers to be used at let's say 5% of their capacity? In
this case I see in pg_buffercache that all the shared memory is used (since
all the buffers are used) but in reality only 5% from it is actually used.

With best regards,

Sorin