Re: Postgresql Help

From: Robert Treat <robert(at)omniti(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Mageshwaran <j_mageshwaran(at)sifycorp(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql Help
Date: 2007-04-24 02:15:59
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

On Monday 23 April 2007 01:21, Mageshwaran wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I am new to postgresql, I have been assigned a task of upgrading
> postgresql to higher version.
> In our company we are using 7.1.1,7.1.3,7.4.5 versions of postgresql,
> can you please tell me which is the stable and suitable version in 8.x
> version.

If you plan to do your upgrades within the next 4 months, you'll want to
target 8.2.4. If you plan to upgrade after that, then 8.3 is the version
you'll want (it is currently expected to be released around July).

You should be aware that upgrading from 7.1.x versions is likely to be a
somewhat intensive process since, while it should be backwards compatible,
recent versions of pg_dump almost certainly hasn't recieved much testing
against 7.1.x versions. (I'd almost recommend upgrading to an intermediate
version like 7.4.x, but it probably isn't worth it... just make sure that you
keep a copy of your 7.1 databases running until your done testing, and make
sure to test your applications thoroughly. Also don't forget that any
applications /drivers/ libraries that are built against 7.1 should be
updated / recompiled against newer versions as well. HTH.

--
Robert Treat
Database Architect