Re: Google Summer of Code

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
To: robins(at)pobox(dot)com
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code
Date: 2007-04-23 00:43:55
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Robins wrote:

> Frankly, I think I was pretty much where Andy is. I mean, aren't we
> storing 'only position / sizing (in other words UI) details' in the schema
> ?

Nope.

> Storing the database structure in the schema (and not reading it from the
> database) is going to be quite futile for me personally ... you know
> 'managing two schemas' issue.

See this link [1] where I explain in details the advantage of storing
the diagram metadata in a XML Schema. Briefly:
* model 1 is database-independent so you don't need a database
connection to open and modify the diagram;
* using model 2, you can't differ if an object is part of one diagram or
another one; so you can't have two models in the same database!

IMHO an general ER Tool (I know it involves a complexity) is better than
a database-driven one.

[1] http://www.timbira.com/soc2007/

--
Euler Taveira de Oliveira